Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In the Crucible, are there any quotes that highlight a woman as less powerful in the community of Salem? Thanks!

"She thinks to dance with me on my wife’s grave! And well she might, for I thought of her softly. God help me, I lusted, and there is a promise in such sweat. But it is a whore’s vengeance."

This quote by Proctor in the courtroom displays his condescending attitude towards women.  Although Abigail is clearly at fault, this quote by Proctor shows that he lusted, that he took advantage, and shows little attention to Abigail's feelings.

Parris: I have given you a home, child, I have put clothes upon your back-- now give me an upright answer. Your name in town-- it is entirely white, is it not?

Abigail: Why, I am sure it is, sir. There be no blush about my name.

In this exchange, Parris is challenging Abigail's reputation.  He has heard rumors.  Being so concerned about it shows the tremendous pressure women were under.  A double standard existed, in which the virtues of women were more insisted upon then the virtues of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discuss at least two characteristics of Romanticism in John Keat's poem "Ode toa Nightingale".

The poet in Ode To A Nightingale  is an escapist .He escapes through imagination .On his way the bower of the bliss wher the nightingale is ...